The NuForce Reference 18 Mono Amplifier
The Ref 18 Mono carries developments embodied in our award-winning amplifiers to a yet higher plateau wherein we've applied the latest in-house research and top-quality components to a level of performance exceeding even that of our celebrated Ref 9V3SE mono amplifier.
The Ref 18's every aspect has been evaluated against those of the Ref 9V3SE in order to identify areas available to improvement. Input-stage circuitry, solid-state and passive components have been reconfigured with an eye to providing a quieter, more distortion-free environment, and greater speed via a capacitor board we call the Cross-Matrix Array (CMA), the effectiveness of which becomes especially apparent in the supremely fast delivery of musical transients.
Owing to the CMA's larger size relative to the Ref 9V3SE's Sequential Linear Array, the Ref 18 occupies a commensurately wider chassis that likewise allows for a more effective routing of internal wiring, resulting in a reduction of background noise.
In addition to the Ref 18's performance gains, the amp features a touch-sensitive front panel, WBT binding posts and a 12-volt On-Off trigger permitting it to operate as the cornerstone of any premium installation, be it two-channel, home theater, and other domestic or commercial application.
As always, in keeping with NuForce policy, customer access to upgrades offers an assurance of non-obsolesce. Advances in technology and circuit architecture will remain available for the new Ref 18 platform, as well as for that of our Ref 9 designs -- and again, as always, at a reasonable cost.
In summary, NuForce's Ref 18 elevates the already excellent performance characteristics of the Ref 9V3SE -- most notably, liquidity and neutrality -- to a degree that must be heard to be believed. As with the Ref 9V3SE, operation in a less than well resolved and transparent system may mask the Ref 18's advantages. Conversely, a pair of Ref 18s in a fine, audiophile-grade system will reveal the following qualities:
• Sweeter, more natural highs.
• A near-palpable midrange and harmonic structure, resulting in a more natural and relaxed presentation.
• A beautifully textured low end exceeding even that of the Ref 9V3SE's exemplary authority and control.
• A deeper, more coherent soundstage.
In short, the answer to a discriminating audiophile's prayers.
• Configuration: Mono Input: RCA and true balance XLR
• Power output
Power/Load8 ohm4 ohm2 ohm
(20 msec hold time)325W650W 1300W
*RMS power denotes maximum continuous power. Peak power denotes an instantaneous power boost. Note that typical listening normally requires about 15W of power. These high power amplifiers provide more than sufficient power for just about any speakers on the market.
• Frequency Response: 20 Hz -0.3 dB - 120 kHz -3 dB
• THD+N = 0.01%, 1kHz, 1W to 10W, A Weighted.
• Input impedance: 22K ohm
• Input sensitivity = 252mV, 1W @ 8 Ohm; 2.57V, 100W @ 8 Ohm; 1.81V, 100W @ 4 Ohm
• Input sensitivity for maximum power: 3.33V
• Gain: 21 db
• SNR > 100 db at 100W
• 12V DC Trigger Input
• WBT binding post for spade and banana plug
• Chassis is made of high-grade anodized brushed aluminum to reduce audio resonance
• Dimension: 17" x 15" x 2.95"
• Worldwide AC voltage (84VAC to 264VAC). No need for AC regulator if the AC voltage falls within the specified range.
• Weight: 32 lb
• AC Fuse: Slow blow, 5A, 250VAC