Sixty five years in development; the SQ-38u is an heirloom to be passed down to the next generation of music lovers.
Timelessness, meticulous craftsmanship, high aesthetic standards....
A first-class work posseses these and many other rare qualities
And when such a product is yours, ownership is nothing less than an exquisite pleasure.
The year 1963 was a watershed for audio equipment manufacturers. Vacuum tubes in TVs and other home electronic products began to be replaced with transistors. Meanwhile, many consumers sought out higher powered amplifiers. Lux defied contemporary audio trends by releasing a high-quality integrated amplifier with 10W@ channel output that combined miniature triode tubes and OY output transformers. It didn't deliver a great deal of power, but its sound quality was so outstanding that it became a best seller.
That's how the legendary SQ-38 came into being. It's now in its 11'th generation and retains the original's aluminum front panel and wooden enclosure. Twenty & thirty year old models sell in Japan today for a higher price than thier original retail price. This is truly an heirloom product.
For 2009 the eleventh generation SQ-38 is a wonderful blend of old & new; the SQ-38u incorporates many modern features in a classic design that exudes luxury & class. Another remarkable design from Kazuyuki Doi - who brought us the MQ-88 / CL-88 as well more recently the NeoClassico. Conservatively rated @ 30 watts per channel, gives a linear output as well as reliable performance for many years to come. Here is an amplifier that can be inherited by the next generation.
* Phono stage with selectable MM, MC low output or MC high output. MC duties are handled by an on-board step-up transformer. With up to 63dB of gain available, should easily handle low output MC cartridges.
* Mono switch
* Subsonic Filter, to remove rumble from LP playback
* Tone Controls, easily engaged or defeated at the press of a switch.
* High quality headphone output on the front panel.
* Five inputs as well as a Tape Loop.
* Two pairs of selectable speaker outputs
* Conservatively rated at 30 wpc x 2, using Electro Harmonix EL34 output tubes
* Illuminated volume control, so that its setting can easily be seen across the room.
- Output: 30W +30 W (6Ω), 25W +25 W (8Ω, 4Ω)
- Inputs: 1 phono (MM / MC high / MC low), 4 line inputs
- Recording input and output: REC output, monitor
- Speaker Outputs: A, B (independent switching, with simultaneous output)
- Remote Control Functions: Volume up / down, mute
- Tube Compilment EL34 x 4, ECC83 (12AX7) x 4, ECC82 (12AU7) x 3
- Dimensions: 15.7" (400mm) W x 7.7" (196) H x 12.2" (310) D
- Weight: 44 lbs. (20 KG) 55 lbs shipping
- Supplied Accesories: Remote Control, JPA-10000 Power Cord